Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Forgive me for I have sinned

So I bought my dress in May....of 2009. May…as in twelve (TWELVE) months ago. It’s as if I can barely remember what it looks like. And don’t worry, I will include the “story that is my dress” in an upcoming post but for now, I need go to confession.

(source)

I’ve been…for lack of a better term, wavering about my dress choice. When I first tried it on, I was completely in love and as time has gone on, I’ve been teased by all of the gorgeous dresses I’m seeing in blogs, magazines and through all of the stalking perusing I do online. My only solace is that I’ve heard this is normal…for the most part…so I tried my best to ignore and move on. Because it’s true, I really did LOVE my dress – but after not seeing it for so long, it’s hard to remember what it looks like…and more importantly, what it makes me feel like when I'm wearing it.

Yeah…I’m weak. I admit it. And yeah…I gave in. There was one dress that just kept popping up and it seemed as though she was beckoning me to find her. She’s been very persistent. I really didn’t have a choice, I’m telling you. It wasn’t me, it was her. I stand by my story.

So while away on business, I called around and found that one bridal salon had her in the store so I made an appointment and anxiously awaited our first date.

I arrived right on time and met Katie, our chaperone. She showed me to a lovely fitting room and I proceeded to undress. I should note this is very UNlike my first date with Frogger (much to his dismay – ha!). Katie whisked back the curtain while holding Bali – my date. She was a bit tousled and dingy…also a different color than what I wanted but, it would do.

I decided to try on a few others first, to get a feel for some similar looks – I really wanted to save Bali for last, like dessert. I should also mention, I was lucky enough to have two of my bridesmaids with me – who were also in town for the same work event. I just love when that happens.

As I came out with each new dress, the girls did the requisite oohing and aahing. Second to last, I came out with a dress on that was extremely similar to the dress I currently owned and hadn’t seen since last May. They both about fell over. I couldn’t get a word in, they just LOVED this dress. Hmm, this was going to be a tough act to follow…look smart Bali, we’ve got our work cut out for us.

I headed back to the dressing room and met with Bali. Once on, I looked in the mirror.

It's nice…

That’s really all I could think. It was so different than any other I had tried on, I wasn’t sure if that’s what I liked about it or if it was that I actually liked it on me. I received my answer when I approached the girls.

It's nice…

That’s about it. They waited for my reaction. And I really didn’t know. I opened up the floor for opinions. They both expressed concern in the cut for the bodice – “it’s REALLY bare, you don't usually show skin like that - will you be comfortable?" and then scrutiny turned to the seams in the skirt “are they supposed to show like that?” Yeah, I got my answer.

I tried on the dress that resembled my current dress one more time. It was a resounding YES! I left feeling much better and grateful to my friends for being honest. Afterward, as we were having lunch…okay cocktails…I looked at the photos Bridesmaid Big Apple snuck of me in Bali. It was even more clear to me that it was definitely NOT my dress. It was a beautiful dress and I’ve seen it look absolutely gorgeous on a few different brides including the gorgeous Mrs. Piglet (who was one of the brides that convinced me I needed to try it on) but it was definitely was not flattering on me.

I can’t tell you how much of a relief it was to have checked into it and now know that I have no reason to doubt the choice I made many months ago. {SIGH}

Anyone else a sinner? Anyone else almost cheat on their dress? Fess up.

No comments:

Post a Comment