Thursday, May 20, 2010

Matchy matchy?

When I first thought about bridesmaid dresses I came up with an idea that I never shared…with anyone. I guess I just thought that everyone would think I was a sandwich short of a picnic. I just love that phrase. Ahem, anyway. It was one of those things that seemed too different from what friends and relatives had done in the past that I had a feeling it would be difficult to convince people that it could actually look good. Soooo I wrote it off as crazy bride brain and moved on (we’ll revisit so hang tight).

I’m pretty classic in my taste so I knew I wanted the girls to wear a dress in a color that they could get use out of in the future and a color that would look great on everyone. With our colors being gray, lavender and blue, I chose gray for the bridesmaid dresses and I was met with a happy response. In order to make things affordable, I decided to go the JCrew route. After searching, I narrowed it down to:

(source)

(source)

I told the girls that they could choose the dress that appealed most to them…they were the same color, same fabric and same company so I knew they would work well together.

After ordering a few and having some of the girls try them on, I knew that this was going to be much more difficult than I thought. My girls are all different shapes, sizes and heights – they were just not the most flattering dresses on everyone. At that point I knew we had to make a change, my top priority was that all of them felt beautiful and comfortable – I wanted everyone to feel a great as I will so we are all free to have fun and make some incredible memories!

One weekend, I finally gave into my original idea and decided to do some real research to see if I could find photos of what I wanted to do where it was accomplished successfully. And voila…the internets delivered. Behold:

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)

You guessed it friends…I’m talking about coordinating, not matching dresses. For the longest time I thought about this idea and how much I loved the fact that they would compliment each other but not actually match. When I ran the idea past my maids, I was SO relieved when they all responded positively!

Since we are still finalizing ideas and getting dresses ordered, I don’t have the actual dress compilation just yet…but I will be sure to share with all of you as soon as we have the dresses so you can tell me – for real – what you think. I need outside opinions to ensure I’m not suffering, once again, from crazy bride brain. :)

How did you come to decide on bridesmaid dresses? Did you go with matching or coordinating or something completely different?

No comments:

Post a Comment