Monday, May 17, 2010

It's all about give and take

What would wedding planning be without some twists and turns? Like every couple, the Frogs have experienced their fair share during the planning process.


(source) Twists and turns…get it? I crack myself up.

When Frogger and I first got engaged, one of the things I wanted most for our wedding was to write our own vows. The idea of hearing him pour out his heart and share his feelings for me during a time when we pledge to spend our lives together – it just makes me sigh and go googly eyed. When I first put this idea on the table, he reluctantly agreed letting me know that he loved the idea of sharing our feelings but doing it in front of others would make him nervous. I figured that was expected as I would be nervous too but the good kind of nervous. Him…not so much.

Fast forward many months later to this past weekend and I come to find out, he is more than just a little nervous. Every time he thought about the wedding, this feeling would cloud any joy and excitement because he couldn’t get past the nerves of our impending, very public vows. Although this conversation came up in a round about way, eventually he shared with me his true feelings. Honestly, I had no idea. And after hearing how it was making him feel, I couldn’t possibly push for the original plan.

He told me that although it was something that would be difficult and nerve-wracking for him, he was so focused on making me happy, he was willing to do anything I asked. It meant so much to me to hear him say that and reminded me yet again of one of the many reasons I'm planning to spend the rest of my life with him. Did I mention that I love this man?

Immediately I decided that it was much more important to me to have him happy and excited leading up to and on our wedding day than to have him nervous and stressed…even if it meant that the personally written vows were out.


(source)

In order to salvage the concept, I came up with a new idea so that I could still get the feeling I was after yet it would only involve the two of us…resulting in zero pressure on him. I asked if he would be interested in writing each other a love letter that we could read to one another during our first look before the ceremony. It provided me with the heartfelt words I wanted to hear on my wedding day and it allowed him to tell me the things in his heart without the audience. With the beautiful, lush trees creating a canopy over the ceremony lawn, I can just picture us seeing each other for the first time and having this special moment together. We love that it’s something that is just for the two of us to share, a calm and tender moment away from the whirlwind of the day.

We both decided this was the best possible choice for us both to be happy and I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that we both get what we want.

And I also have to say, he’s been so much more interested in helping with wedding details than before because now, he actually feels like he can be relaxed and excited as we get closer and closer. I’ve always thought we had good communication as a couple and although it took a bit longer for this to come to the surface, I’m so happy with the way we were able to work it out. And though I didn’t think it was possible, my love for him grows more each day.


So in love

Did you have any big changes occur during your planning process? Anything you had to bend on to ensure you both were happy leading up to the big day?

No comments:

Post a Comment