Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Let them eat...pie

So I've begun the DIY wedding journey. One of my slated projects is below - these cuter than cute little flags.

As you can see, the example I found has them being used in cupcakes however, as I’ve discussed, I’m not big into cake and neither is Frogger.

Back when we went on a long weekend trip to Chelan, we stopped at an adorable little bakery in a tiny town nearby. We wanted to get some pie samples to see if we could find a fit for our wedding. Upon walking into the homey, delicious smelling store, I was blown away by the amount of choices that were available. They had pies of every flavor you can imagine and even better…they had mini pies.


Behold the mini pie goodness

And not to be overlooked, they also had full size pies:


Yummy

Personally, one of the things I loved most was the fact that not only do they taste delicious and are made-from-scratch, they actually look homemade.

We decided to take 6 of the mini pies with us (much to the delight of our friends who we were staying with that weekend) and did a little tasting. Even after sitting in the garage refrigerator for several hours…they were still damn tasty!


Roll call: Apple, Peach, Triple Berry, Pumpkin, Blueberry and Strawberry Rhubarb

As a group, we decided our favorite was the blueberry…followed closely by strawberry rhubarb, triple berry and apple. We may throw a few more in for good measure when we place the order but those will definitely be the majority.

I must say, the thing I love most is that they use different symbols to identify the pies once they are cooked – each one is different: a star, heart, two lines, three lines, circle, etc. Too cute.


(source)

We are envisioning a pie table with a few of the full size pies surrounded by mini pies that will be served to each guest. By having some bigger pies, we will still be able to do a traditional “cutting and serving” as bride and groom but we get to do it with a dessert that we both love.

Now that you see the pie set-up, can you just imagine those cute little flags sticking up out of the pies? I can't wait!

Staying with our garden-chic vibe and continuing to incorporate local flavors, we also decided on our favors! As soon as I saw this on…where else – Martha Stewart Weddings – I knew it was perfect for our wedding. I’ll need to tweak a bit to fit our colors but you get the idea:


(source) Washington cherries anyone?

I’m thinking since our colors are gray, purple and blue – perhaps I should find a gray box to hold them? I was also thinking it could be charming to use a rustic cherry box or a wooden wine box – thoughts?


(source)


(source)

If I went the more rustic route, I could dress it up by using a ribbon in our colors or line the bottom with colored fabric. I’m still pretty torn on the presentation of these. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment