Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Seal the deal

I’m guessing many of you already know where this post is going. A little background on how I arrived at my extremely awkward new wedding thoughts…bare with me.

I had the fun opportunity to spend the weekend in town at a local resort with MOH Big Apple. It was a nice little staycation and very needed during all of the wedding madness. While there, a wedding took place on Saturday and we were lucky enough to be on a patio overlooking the cocktail hour. We may or may not have spied on the guests.

Later that night, we were heading back to our room after dinner and as we walked up, we passed the honeymoon suite. It was located next door to our room! The wedding party had decorated with little tea light candles and flower petals. It was just too cute!

Soooo…that got me thinking. How awkward is the thought of people knowing you are “sealing the deal” the night of your wedding?! Relatives, Parents…GRANDparents…it’s just a bit creepy to think that they all know of this “tradition” – makes me think of the movie Just Married, anyone seen it? Frogger and I love that movie (and I’m sad we’ve lost Brittany Murphy at such a young age). There is a part in that movie where her character has these exact thoughts:

(source)

Sarah: “Oh my God tomorrow my parents are going to know I’m not a virgin anymore!”

Tom: “Sarah, no… You haven’t been a virgin since college.”

Sarah: “I know. I know. But tomorrow they’re going to know for sure that I’m not a virgin. And they’re going to know that you deflowered me, oh God!”

Now I’ve been to many weddings as a guest or standing up, and I’ve never once thought about the bride and groom “on their wedding night” – but now, as my time approaches I begin thinking of things I never have in the past. And well, it’s just a tad unnerving to think of family members having thoughts anywhere near these awkward ones.

Please tell me I’m not alone…or after reading this, I’m not alone because you are now thinking of it thanks to moi. Misery loves company, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment