Monday, May 3, 2010

Bridesmaid bouquets: yes or no?

So I’ve been thinking lately about bridesmaid bouquets. I know, I’ve just lost any reader working in the floral industry. But hear me out. I’m not saying that brides should forgo flowers – I definitely think there’s a special place in a wedding for a bridal bouquet, ceremony flowers and reception centerpieces, among other floral adornments – I’m just thinking that in this economy, there might be other ways to address what a bridesmaid could hold that may prove to be easier on the budget.

Has anyone seen the incredibly creative things that some brides have chosen to do for their bridesmaids in lieu of bouquets? I saw one wedding where the couple met as kids, became high school sweethearts and decided to design their entire wedding in a school theme. The bridesmaids carried school books bound in a strap like back in the ’20s. I just loved that it worked in their theme but wasn’t cheesy. I also really love that I can’t find the photo or link to demonstrate. Have I mentioned how organized I am?

That got me thinking…what else could be substituted? What about using the bridesmaid gift for this purpose? There are so many great clutches out there (like the ones below), we all know girls love purses and will need something at the wedding to hold those few chosen items. Selecting a personal clutch for each girl that shares the colors of your wedding could add a splash of color as they walk down the aisle and it’s definitely practical.

Clutch 1Clutch 2

Or perhaps there’s no need for anything to be carried if the bridesmaids are entering on the arm of a groomsman. In this case, maybe just a great hair piece like these from etsy or colorful sash for the dress would be enough.

hairpiece 1hairpiece2

But really, what do I know? There’s always something special about sticking with tradition….but there’s something equally special about creating your own way. You see how I sidestepped a real opinion there? I can be good at that. You.Are.Welcome.

Are you planning for something "outside the box" with your bridesmaids?

No comments:

Post a Comment