Thursday, June 17, 2010

The dress hunt

My dress hunt began in New York City.

I was lucky to have been traveling there for work back in May of last year and having been somewhat newly engaged, I thought it could be great timing to take a look around for a dress. I mentioned the idea to my mom and she loved it…she loved it so much that she booked a ticket to come out at the end of my trip so I could stay a few extra days and we could do my dress shopping together!

I made quite a few appointments with some big bridal giants and after a grueling few days of work, I was excited to scour the city to find my dress.

First appointment, home to TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress,” the one and only Kleinfeld.


(source)

If you watch the show, my appointment was with Camille. She’s very nice but kinda scary in person – very intimidating looking. We talked about what I was looking for and the type of wedding I was having and she left to grab some dresses. She came back with a few that were…eh. After trying on a few more that weren’t really my style, she brought me back into the back room and there were HUNDREDS of dresses everywhere. Talk about intimidating. We looked through the racks for a bit, pulled a few and headed back to the fitting room. After those were a bust, she brought in the big guns. Yes, that’s right ladies…I got to meet the Randy Fenoli.


(source)

He is just darling in person and he really does have a gift. Out of all the dresses I tried on at Kleinfeld, he brought in the only one that I liked. And he literally only brought one dress. He talked to me, found out what my style is and what I was looking for and brought in Amsale’s Serena:


(source)

Although it wasn’t my dress, it was beautiful and I loved the crumb catcher top. I also loved the new bridal lingo I learned along the way.

Then it was on to Wedding Atelier.


(tiny online picture source)

It was there that I had my second brush with a fashion celeb. My appointment was with a girl named Carol. Come to find out months later that it was Carol Hannah of Project Runway fame! At the time that we met, the show hadn’t aired yet so I didn’t know who she was…other than a really great stylist. I was thrilled to route her on when the show debuted and I’m still a huge fan of her designs. She gave me many beautiful dresses to try on (including my two runner-up options) and out of all of the places we went in NY, this was by FAR the best experience overall. When you arrive they ask you to remove your shoes and give you slippers to keep the floors clean. They also give you hand wipes so the dresses stay clean. They handle all of the dresses for you and it’s a very comfortable experience. I loved it there.

I had yet to find my dress…but the hunt continued.

Where do you think I headed next? Any ideas as to where I finally got my dress at?

No comments:

Post a Comment