Friday, June 18, 2010

Setting the mood

Usually when you think about music for the wedding, you immediately think of the reception. You know, your uncle doing the white man’s overbite, your drunk friend waving her arms and shaking her rump (yep, I said it…hello 1994) and who can overlook the ambitious family friend starting an infamous dance circle.

And all of those things are fine and good…but before there can be a reception, there must be a ceremony. So let’s talk ceremony music.

For the most part, Frogger left the processional music up to me. He definitely wanted to hear it and have a final say but he trusted my judgment to come up with ideas that would fit for the mood of our big day. One thing we both wanted was for the songs to have meaning, either words that said what we felt or songs that reminded us of moments we’ve shared together.

First up – the music for the maids and men.

This song speaks to us in that way where it says the words you are always thinking when you look in the eyes of the one you love. You can’t help but feel love when listening to this song and the piano version is simply lovely.

Next – my big entrance.

Not only is this song beautiful both musically and lyrically, it holds special meaning for us as a couple. Warning, flashback ahead:

When Frogger and I first started dating, my birthday was just a few weeks after we made things “official.” At the time, I was the last person on the planet without a DVD player so he gave me one for my birthday – he’s such a catch. Along with the DVD player, he gave me a movie that he knew I loved. Don’t judge…Flashdance.

Now seeing as how he’s a dude and this really isn’t a dude movie, it became old fast that the only movie I could offer when he came over was this one. So, we quickly decided we needed another movie for those nights when we just wanted to cuddle up and watch a flick. We (okay, mostly I) decided to get How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. I can’t even come close to telling you how many times we watched that movie during those first few months together.

There is a scene in that movie when you see them start to actually fall in love and the song that’s playing is the song above. It’s a beautiful song and one that has major meaning for us as a couple since it spans back 7 years to when we were just two kids in like….on the road to in love. I love the fact that it will be the song I come down the aisle to and it will be the song that he remembers hearing when he sees me.

Now moving beyond the mush, our announcement song for when we walk back up the aisle.

We wanted to choose a song that was fun, lighthearted and allowed us to show a little personality, dancing our way back up the aisle and helping to send the message that the party can begin! We can’t wait to see our bridal party in action as we all break it down.

How did you come up with the songs for your ceremony? Do they have special meaning in your relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment