Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Who gets to wear white?

In my opinion…that color dress is reserved for the bride.

(source)

I’ve had multiple discussions about this with friends, family and within the online wedding world. It’s definitely a heated topic, depending on who you talk to. Personally, I live in the camp that respects the tradition of the bride being the only person in a white dress on the wedding day. I know some people probably think that’s kinda bitchy but as a soon-to-be-bride, I have waited a long time to wear a beautiful white wedding gown and can only hope that guests will understand and respect that.

Have you ever been to a wedding where a woman other than the bride is wearing a white dress?

I have.

Personal photo from the wedding I attended – see the bride in the background?

I won’t name names to protect the innocent (and the guilty) but I was not the only person who noticed this white dress guest and I heard many a murmur during the cocktail hour. It was surprising how much of a stir it caused – head shakes, eye rolls…nobody really knows if she meant to wear it on purpose or if she just wasn’t up on typical wedding protocol. I will say, in her defense, that if you haven’t been married/been in weddings/planning a wedding, etc. then there is a chance you aren’t familiar with this faux pas…and in her case, she was around 24 years old, never been married and dating a cousin of the groom. I like to think it was an accident but I really can’t help but wonder if she was interested in getting attention.

I guess, for me, ultimately it comes down to this thought: You know what the bride will be wearing – most likely a white dress – so wouldn’t you automatically pick something else, anything else? Honestly, every other color is on the menu…take your pick, just don’t pick white. And really – how many cute white dresses are out there and out of the options in someone’s closet, why choose the white one?

And since I’ve seen this conversation get heated in the past, let’s keep in mind that we are all entitled to our own opinion. What do you think? Are you with me in the white-only-for-the-bride camp or are you in the laid back, eh…who really cares camp?

No comments:

Post a Comment