Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ring a bling, bling

Before I can even launch in, I have to say that as I typed the title of this post – which I will admit, made me laugh (I crack myself up)…I received a solid eye-rolling from Frogger. Little jerk.

So back to the bling. It’s pretty interesting since our ring story isn’t what most people expect. As I’ve previously mentioned, we got engaged on a cruise. Here’s a little peek at our cruise:



She said YES!


We’re sinking!


In Guatemala enjoying some fruity drinks in coconuts – helloooooo vacation!


Bannister Caye, Belize AKA paradise

The part that most people don’t know is that the ring he proposed with isn’t my engagement ring.

Let me explain. Frogger’s mom (whom I love!) gave him a ring that belonged his grandmother and luckily it had quite a bit of bling on it. He knew the ring wasn’t exactly my style or what he had envisioned giving me. He had two options:

  1. Take the ring to a jeweler and design something using one or more of the existing diamonds to create a new ring for me (which worried him since he didn’t like the pressure of pulling apart a family ring not knowing if I would like what he had created – which, for the record, I would have loved no matter what).
  2. Wait and propose with the current ring, then we would go together to the jeweler to design the ring together.

Ultimately he chose the latter because he really loved the idea of doing it together, knowing that it would be something we both would love and I can’t tell you how happy I am that he decided on this route. Not only do I have a ring that I absolutely love but we were able to use just one diamond from his family ring and refitted that spot with his mom’s birthstone…we gave her back her mother’s ring newly polished up with her birthstone for Mother’s Day and she was thrilled. It was a really wonderful moment to see her face when she realized what it was. I love that I have a piece of their family history in my ring yet it’s fitting of who I am and who we are as a couple. It’s the perfect marriage of old and new. Get it, marriage? I’m on a ROLL today.

What’s that? You want to see it? Ohhhh, I just figured you wanted to hear the story.

Ring eye candy coming your way!

What’s your ring story? Did you have a hand in creating your dream ring or was yours a total surprise?

No comments:

Post a Comment