Friday, April 23, 2010

How I met my Frog Prince

It’s funny how everyone sees things differently…hence the need for us to share the story of how we met, fell in love and are now getting married. And yes, I just wrote “hence” – I feel the need to use words that sound important sometimes. Just go with it.


Bowling Birthday + Hoedown theme + bowling alley wine = classy.

Here’s my version of the story, but I should say that Frogger stands strong that he was the one to initiate coming over to talk to me...but that's not how I remember it! And since it's my post, it's my rules and you're going to hear my version. :)

Although Frogger denies it…we met because of a gutsy friend of mine.

In the beginning of May 2003, I was invited to the anniversary party for a local lounge in Old Town Scottsdale. My friends and I were having fun sipping our fancy cocktails and people watching. Prepare for the cheesy part…As I was surveying the crowd, two groups parted and in the distance I saw a guy laughing with some friends. He had the most amazing smile.

I told you it was cheesy.

So I pointed him out. My friend decided she was going to call him over. Those who know me know that I’m not forward at all when it comes to guys…I’m actually the complete opposite. So…you can imagine how embarrassed/shocked I was when she held up her hand and signaled him over. I began begging her to put her hand down and when I turned back, this cute guy and his friends were walking toward us.


Frogger and I ended up hanging out the entire night. As I was getting ready to head home, he asked me for my phone number. None of my friends were surprised when I told him that I didn’t give my number out. He looked a bit defeated. I told him that I would take his number though so he gave it to me and we parted. As I drove home, I knew that if I didn’t call him right then, I probably never would. So, I called him and I was relieved when it went to voicemail. I left a somewhat awkward message and I hung up thinking I was a complete idiot – I was a much better communicator than that (it was my major!). As I sat there ridiculing myself, my phone rang. He was calling back. :)

Sweaty and shiny…we’re hot.

Fast forward many happy years later and we were planning our next vacation together. We decided on a cruise – it’s our favorite. We arrived in New Orleans and boarded our ship. Once we were on board and exploring, I could tell there was something up with him. I didn’t really know what but he just seemed a little on edge. We walked down to see if our room was ready but the doors were still shut and Frogger proceeded to get very annoyed by this. I didn’t think it was a big deal but he had an issue with it. I suggested we walk around a bit more, grab some food and check back in an hour. We got back down there an hour later and the door to the rooms was open. We walked down the hallway and arrived at our room. He slid his room key and opened the door a crack, he then told me to go ahead and he would get the bags. I walked into the room and was stunned to see dozens of red roses (five to be exact - one for every year we had been together) all over the room. I really had no idea what was going on. I thought we were in the wrong room. I believe my words were “What the?!” As I turned around to tell him that we were clearly in the wrong room, he was down on his knee.

And here we are! We are so thrilled to be sharing our journey through the planning process with all of you. I'm sure you want to see the bling, right? Well normally I wouldn't tease you like this but there's a story behind the ring so you'll have to wait a little longer for that post.

Were you surprised when your man proposed? Did you (like me) almost use an expletive in shock? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment