Sunday, April 25, 2010

Couple moments

As all couples do, Frogger and I really look forward to the downtime we have together at the end of the day. I enjoy cooking and he enjoys eating so it really works out well.

The other night I came to realize that we have these little rituals that I had never really taken notice of in the past. For example, when I’m in the mood to try an experiment with dinner, he always asks if I’d like him to write it down. I’ve always enjoyed tinkering in the kitchen and when a recipe I made up would come out well, he would immediately say, “Write it down!!” Of course, you know where this is going, I would put it off because I wanted to relax, watch TV, read, blog, (fill-in-the-blank excuse) and then the next day I would have forgotten a good portion of what I did to create the delicious meal we had enjoyed the night before.

We finally got in the habit of keeping a recipe book of sorts (we started with one of those yellow legal pads, then after filling it completely and virtually destroying it with food splatters, we decided a notebook with a cover would be a better choice – we’re geniuses, I tell you). Fast-forward to the present, we now have a routine down pat, I start cooking and tell him what I’m doing, he sits in the living room and writes it down for me while pretending to not watch whatever sporting event is on TV. It’s a great way to feel like we both have a hand in creating the meal…and I have to say, my favorite part is the fact that (on his own) he decided to start drawing (I use that term very loosely) little pictures of the meal on the recipe page. He’s going to kill me…but I HAVE to show you what I mean:

Pork Chop recipe pic

Steak recipe pic

Are you dying?! How can you not love this man.

And just for fun, I’ll share one more little moment. On weeknights when nothing is on TV – you know, that time of day between getting home from work and when prime-time shows begin, we tend to channel surf. One of the shows that we sometimes settle on is the new version of The Newlywed Game.

the-newlywed-game-logo

(source)

I know it sounds cheesy but it’s really entertaining to hear the questions and see what each of us thinks is the best answer for us as a couple. We’ve gotten in the habit of listening to the question and then pausing immediately (thank you Tivo, I love you…for so many reasons) so that we can each shout out our answer and see if we would have gotten it right.

Yes, we’re nerds.

Typically we do pretty well, there are always those random questions that are basically impossible to answer but overall, I would say we are on target about 90% of the time. My favorite moment happened recently when the question was, “Complete the following statement: ‘If we’re not home together on a weeknight, it’s because my wife is ______ and I’m _____.’” We both look at each other and say (in unison), “She’s at happy hour and he’s at home.” It was pretty funny…and goes to show a bit of our personalities. He’s a total homebody and really enjoys relaxing around the house, while I am pretty outgoing and love to have a jam-packed social schedule (and happen to really love happy hour…hey, I’m just keeping it real, here). Do you and your love have opposite approaches to how you spend some of your free time during the week? We find that it creates a nice balance for us.

I’d love to know how you create couple moments – it’s one of the most fascinating things about relationships because no two are alike. Okay, secretly I’m hoping someone will share an equally nerdy moment so we won’t feel so bad. Don’t worry, you’re in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment